Another AED Not Used Contributing to Loss of Life

A senior at St. Charles North High School, Lauren was practicing with the varsity drill team in February 2008 when she collapsed on the cafeteria floor from sudden cardiac arrest.

The Laman Family

The Laman Family

Although an AED had been located just 40 feet from where she collapsed and paramedics found the device next to her when they arrived more than 12 minutes after the call, the AED was never used. Lauren was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Despite being surrounded by teammates, coaches and school staff, no one did the one thing that could have saved Lauren’s life.

“I cannot accept that,” said her mother, Mary Laman. “She should be here celebrating her birthday … . She should be celebrating Christmas.”

Mary recalled learning the Heimlich maneuver when she was in high school. While at the time she didn’t think much of the training, it wasn’t until her husband was choking years later that Mary saw the importance and was able to react.

The same could be said for teaching how to use an AED and training ongoing generations. “The results would be tremendous,” George said.

George, who worked as a paramedic for 11 years, understands the importance of time.

“It’s frustrating for paramedics to be unable to reach, treat and defibrillate a cardiac patient in time to afford them a good chance to survive,” he said. “Those precious minutes that Lauren laid on the floor without defibrillation, especially with the AED just feet away from her, makes our story especially sad. We can’t have those minutes back. We can’t have Lauren back. Hopefully, this terrible experience will help pass this bill and provide a change so others do not needlessly die.”

“My family made a promise that we would do everything in our power to prevent this from happening to anyone else,” he added.

Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 Event

TAGS: , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a comment