Seemingly Healthy Frequent Runner Dies at Marathon

Martynn Koh the Deceased

Martynn Koh the Deceased

The following is an account by one of the bystanders, a fellow runner Mr William Muk, on a social network site:

“Soon after the 11km mark (at 5:06am) a fellow runner fell right in front of me. At first I thought he tripped. So I asked if he is OK & wanted to help him up. Another runner in front of him also stopped to help. Then we realized something is wrong as his eyes were closed & he didn’t answer us.

First thing we checked is that he is breathing. Then we wanted to contact the organizer’s medical team. Unfortunately, the organizer’s emergency contact number was not printed on the bib. A few more runners had also stopped to help too. Someone called 995 for an ambulance & I could hear the difficulty he had trying to tell them the location. This is because we were not on a main road. We were on a path along Geylang River & it was very dark as there were no lights. While he was on the phone with 995, I checked the website & downloaded the race guide but also could not find the organizer’s contact number. If only we could contact the organizer, they would know the exact location based on the 11km mark.

Another runner stopped to help, which I found out later that he is a doctor. He said his heartbeat is very weak & need an ambulance. The earlier person that called 995 had gone looking for help. So I called 995 (at 5:10am) & had the same problem talking to them. The lady on the line kept insisting that I need to give the exact location before she could despatch an ambulance. I had problems giving that information as I do not know the road names around there. While I was still on the phone with 995, someone managed to locate two of the organizer’s “medics” (that’s what their shirts say) whom were probably on patrol. So I asked the medic if they could call for their ambulance which she said she is calling.

At this time, someone (I think it was the doctor) was already giving the runner CPR as he had stopped breathing. When he saw the medics, he ask for something (not sure what) (most likely an automated external defibrillator – AED – italics mine ) but they don’t have it. He ask what do they have & the medics replied they “don’t have anything”. The doctor said he needed someone to take over the CPR. Fortunately, another runner knows how to & took over the CPR. At that moment, I wished I knew how to perform CPR.

Then I heard someone said the ambulance drove passed but could not find the place. So I & another two runners ran out to the main road (around 5:20am) to see if we could find the ambulance. Luckily the ambulance drove around again & we directed the medical staff to the location (at 5:27am).

They use the AED (the electric shock equipment) about 3 times, I think, but still no heartbeat. All this while, in between the AED charging up, someone was giving CPR, the doctor was also trying to give him an IV & he also asked for adrenaline. The rest of us used our phones to light up the place for them to work.

At around 5:35am, they loaded him onto the stretcher & wheeled him out to the ambulance. I’m not sure whether they managed to get his heartbeat back. I hope he is OK.”

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 Event

TAGS: , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a comment